First prize of $10,000!
Concerned and attentive to the needs of musicians in these difficult times, the JM Canada Foundation (FJMC) has decided to help artists by creating the Do Mi Si La Do Ré (Home Sweet Home) Contest . While these few notes protect us from being infected by COVID-19, they become a source of inspiration for artists who, more than ever, are eager to perform and be heard by the public.
Are you under the age of 30 and a classical music instrumentalist, singer or composer who would like to create and perform on the theme of confinement?
Our contest invites you to compose and perform a piece of music of 3 minutes or less on the theme of the musical phrase Do Mi Si La Do Ré (Home Sweet Home).
How to participate ?
- As an individual or as an ensemble* (in this case, the recording of the composition will have to be done by videoconference. No gatherings will be accepted).
- Create and perform a composition including the musical phrase Do Mi Si La Do Ré (C E B A C D)
- Submit your video HERE (Fundky)** AND register via our Online Registration Form
NEW APPLICATION DEADLINE: Tuesday, May 19, 2020, at 3:00 p.m. (Eastern time)
No Registration Fees
*If you are several participants (musicians, composers), you will have to provide full contact information for all of them in the following downloadable document and attach it to the online registration form. Contact information of all participants (Excel)
Rules and eligibility
The contest will consist of 3 main steps:
- The Foundation will publish videos, meeting the requirements, online, May 20, 2020.
- Ten of the submitted videos will be selected for the final round. The score will be based on the public’s vote (50%) and jury’s notation (50%). Participants will have from May 20 to June 14, 2020, to promote their video to their networks to collect as many votes as possible.
- The ten selected videos will be scored once more, by a jury composed of some of the biggest names in Canadian Classical Music.
What are the different prizes?
The JM Canada Foundation is pleased to announce more than $25,000 will be awarded in grants through this competition.
The first 50 videos submitted that are eligible for the contest will receive a $100 prize. Hurry up and send in your creation!
First prize: $10,000
Second prize: $5,000
Third prize: $3,000
The remaining seven finalists will receive a $1,000 grant each.
*For candidacies with more than one participant, grants will be divided according to the number of musicians listed on the form.