OPERA PRODUCTION | Opera singers and a pianist/coach
2023-2024 Season : La fille sans régiment (The Girl Without a Regiment)
CALL FOR AUDITION
We are looking for opera singers and a pianist/coach for our opera tour for the 2023–2024 season.
The opera chosen for this season is the comic opera in two acts La fille du régiment by composer Gaetano Donizetti and librettists Georges Henri Vernoy de Saint-Georges and Jean-François Bayard. The version we are presenting is an adaptation with singers accompanied by a pianist: La fille sans regiment.
The artists will participate in the Festival d’opéra de Québec, partner of our opera production, and will tour throughout Quebec and the Maritime provinces with a small technical crew. A production internship of approximately 4 weeks is planned as part of the Festival d’opéra de Québec in the summer of 2023. The tour then requires that you be available for a period of 5 to 6 consecutive weeks in the fall of 2023, which includes rehearsals.
This will give you the opportunity to experience different venues while discovering the country. All the logistics of the tour are taken care of by JM Canada.
Send your application and go on tour!
DISTRIBUTION | ROLES TO BE FILLED
Marquise de Birkenfeld, mezzo-soprano
The Girl Without a Regiment, an intimate adaptation of Donizetti’s work
In the Tyrols, occupied by Napoleon 1er’s troops, Marie the vivandière is the object of true love for Tonio, a young Tyrolean ready to do anything to marry her. Adopted as a child by the Twenty-First, a renowned French regiment, Marie miraculously reconnects with her true family in the form of her aunt, the Marquise of Berkenfield, who wishes to marry her to the Duke of Crakentorp. In this French opéra comique by Donizetti, discover lyrical arias that will delight both your ears and your heart, including the famous aria for tenor “Ah! mes amis, quel jour de fête!”, with its nine repeated high Cs, and Marie’s joyful arias that celebrate France, love and the best regiment in the world!
BENEFITS OF TOURING JM CANADA
The JM Canada Opera Tour is about:
• Acquiring professional artistic experience and learning about the realities of a classical music career to develop your independence
• Deepening your knowledge of yourself as an artist
• Traveling throughout Quebec and the Maritime provinces, discovering different performance venues and gaining visibility through the artistic network
• Working with leading artistic figures (director, musical director, etc.)
• Participating in the Festival d’Opéra de Québec and experiencing the opera production as a whole
• Meeting enthusiastic audiences during performances, interacting with students in mediation and giving interviews
• Benefiting from the logistics and supervision of a passionate team
• Exchanging with other young artists through a unique opportunity
SELECTION CRITERIA FOR THE OPERA AUDITIONS
• Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident
• Have a background in classical music
• Be an opera artist or pianist/coach
• Be 32 years old or younger on December 31, 2022
IMPORTANT DATES FOR THE OPERA AUDITIONS
Registration opens: June 15, 2022
Application deadline: extension until December 1, 2022
Confirmation of selected artists: February/March 2023
Official announcement of the program: June 2023
Production workshop during the Festival d’opéra de Québec: June 28 to August 2, 2023 (dates to be confirmed)
Tour: October 3 to November 13, 2023
TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
Read the audition notice: AUDITION NOTICE
Fill out the online application: APPLICATION
HAVE ANY QUESTIONS?
Contact Yogane Lacombe, Head of General Audience Activities