Launch of the 2023–2024 season at Joseph Rouleau Hall
Montreal, June 8, 2024 — Jeunesses Musicales Canada is proud to unveil its 74th season in Joseph Rouleau Hall at André Bourbeau House. Beginning this October, JM Canada invites the public to discover 12 concerts for all ages as part of its Happy Hour Concerts and Cushion Concerts series.
“For the 2023–2024 season, we’ve given the talented clarinetist David Dias da Silva carte blanche as our artist in residence. David has been on two Emerging Artists Concerts tours with us in 2018 and 2023. It’s with great pleasure that we welcome him as artist in residence at Joseph Rouleau Hall. We can’t wait to hear what he has in store for us! As for young audiences, we’re excited to present three new programs to complement three of our classics. This season we’ll be celebrating Halloween, friendship, and wind instruments with dance, puppetry, and storytelling in addition to music,” says Danièle LeBlanc, JM Cadada’s Executive and Artistic Director.
The Happy Hour Concerts Series
For six Thursdays this season, the best up-and-coming musicians will give guided concerts of sixty to seventy-five minutes without intermission.
Clarinetist David Dias da Silva, this fall’s artist in residence, invites audiences to discover the art of the clarinet through a series of three unique concerts.
- An Encounter with Brahms, Henryson, and Rota — November 2, 2023, as part of a trio with cellist Cameron Crozman and pianist Philip Chiu, presenting a concert of contrasting works;
- Between Music and Commedia dell’arte — November 30, 2023, presenting the story of a harlequin through music, theatre, and dance, featuring a repertoire drawn from composers of the new generation (Kovàcs, Stockhausen, and Resanovic);
- The Alchemy of the Trio: Clarke, Bruch, and Jacob — January 25, 2024, featuring a collaborative exploration with his ensemble Trio Philon.
On February 29, 2024, harpist Matt Dupont and actor Jérémie Roy present a unique performance where music and poetry meet: Voices of the Harp.
Then on March 14, 2024, violinists Roxanne Sicard and Richard Zheng, performing together as Duo Vivo, present essential pieces from the repertoire for two violins in a concert entitled Enamored Violins.
Finally, on April 25, 2024, as part of Road Trip!, a pan-Canadian partnership with Debut Atlantic and Prairie Debut, La Fiammata, a piano duo featuring Linda Ruan and Charissa Vandikas, explores various social themes through music in the concert Serenade to Humanity, 1 piano, 4 hands.
For our Happy Hour Concerts events, the public is invited to come early and enjoy a free glass of wine offered by our partner réZin before the music begins at 7:00 p.m.
The Cushion Concerts Series
From age 3 on, young music lovers will be enchanted by our Cushion Concerts, featuring six theatrical and educational performances. Three new productions will be presented this season. They will take place on Sundays at 10:00 a.m. and 11:30 a.m.
- On October 22 and 29, 2023, The Halloween Jam will offer a musical and festive experience in an amazing universe where fantastic creatures invite children aged 3 to 12 to dance!
- On December 3 and 10, 2023, The World for Christmas will get audiences of all ages into the holiday spirit with some of the most beautiful old-time, traditional, and contemporary Christmas carols.
- The new production And What About Friendship, My Loves? presented on February 11, 2024, is a celebration of friendship involving three musicians who discover each other’s personalities over the course of a concert.
- On March 17 and 24, 2024, Giggle and Stomp! will immerse children aged 3 to 7 in the world of percussion and rhythm!
- Opera Candy: The Gourmet Adventure of Hansel and Gretel, on April 14 and 21, 2024, is an introduction to opera and the operatic voice that can be enjoyed like a favourite piece of candy! For children aged 3 to 12.
- To end the season on a high note, a third new program, The Music Lovers’ Forest, will introduce 3- to 7-year-olds to the family of wind instruments, on May 26, 2024.
Information and tickets: jmcanada.ca
About Jeunesses Musicales Canada
Jeunesses Musicales Canada (JM Canada) is a talent incubator that boosts the careers of the best emerging musicians and helps bring classical music to audiences of all ages. Today, a JM Canada season includes over 1,600 musical activities across Canada, ranging from chamber music concerts to exciting musical activities for young audiences.
– 30 –
For more information:
Head of Communications
Jeunesses Musicales Canada